Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kitchen in the New House

So the kitchen in this new place of mine doesn't quite meet my standards. 
The Cabinets are Thermafoil, which means they are MDF Shrink wrapped in plastic.
Probably looked OK when they were first installed. I use the term OK loosely. Now they are a peeling mess. All of the lower cabinets and drawers are peeling like crazy.
Here is a close up now:
Peeling Laminate Cabinets (Thermafoil)
Someone did a little tape job on the one on the left.
I noticed they were in rough shape on our  second walk through before we put in an offer.
I didn't care at the time.
And then I cared... A LOT.
First idea was to replace the doors. 
I started searching online and saw where that plastic coating can be peeled off these babies and after a nice paint job they look hugely better.
I like not buying new doors.
I started with the island because I wasn't ready to start the WHOLE kitchen right now.
The island can look different than the rest of the cabinets cuz well... it's cool to have your island look different...right?
So  I peeled: 
 It was actually really easy.
I sanded and primed and painted.
My husband and I added some trim to the island to make it look more.....fancy.
Paint color is Sherwin Williams: Tricorn Black
Hardware is from Target
Don't mind the dirty countertop. I never fully prepare for pictures!
So there you have it. Makes me happy to be giving this place some TLC.
It's had 4 owners (5 counting us) in 11 years and has just gotten beat up in that time. 
No new paint or fixtures or anything in that time because people have gone in and out of here through the (invisible) revolving door.
Now we may not be here for a long time either but it will be in better condition when we leave than when we arrived. Houses deserve to be loved...and all that  mushy stuff.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey! Welcome Back...welcome home! That is such an amazing facelift! I can't believe it.

Morgan said...

Your new island look is awesome! That's so amazing that you DIY'd all that! =)

Cindy said...

your island looks gorgeous....i love that you peeled the laminate off of the cabinets....it looks great and the trim really dressed it up...

great job!! where in michigan were you living before moving? we are in michigan and i dream of getting out someday. good for you for getting out!1 LOL

xo, cindy

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by Harrison Home! I am glad you did, following you now and can't wait to see what you do with your new home!!

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by Harrison Home! I am glad you did, following you now and can't wait to see what you do with your new home!!

Denise said...

oh it's black, not gray (as i mentioned in another comment). it looks great black.