Monday, August 8, 2011

I'm Patting Myself on the Back Today.

This weekend I decided I would dust off the ol' sewing machine.
I haven't sewed anything in 4 years.
It was time.
I went through all my fabric...there is not a lot to go through.
And found this Zinnia Fabric: 
and I also found this Pillow case from an old queen sheet set: 
 Then I went searching for a pillow in need of a makeover.
I found a 26" x 16" pillow.
I had a pillow cover for it once but I can't find that cover anymore and I didn't like it anymore anyway.
So my plan was to use the Zinnia fabric on the front and use the polka dot fabric on the back.
If you are wondering why my headboard has a doorknob see here.
 So because I can't sew well (yet) I decided to use the finished end of the pillow slip as a sleeve like thing so the pillow can be slid in and out.
Maybe you can see it here in this picture...I hope:
 So I cut the two fabrics into 28" x 18" rectangles.
I had one hell of a time figuring out how to cut my fabric straight. It kept going up a hill. so I got online and found some you tube videos that helped a lot.
Pinned and Sewed around the edges.

I was incredibly happy to get this done and have it be a success.
My back hurt when I was done...is that normal?
Also I'm sure my husband is so happy to have one more pillow on the bed!




Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party







15 comments:

Andrea said...

Ooooh, I just love it! Somehow I had missed the final headboard decision, but remember the original options. I love how it came out, and now I might have to go make a pillow! (but I am almost positive I have nothing as fun as the zinneas in my bins of fabric!)

Beth @ The Goad Abode said...

Looks great, what pretty colors to add to the room :)

. said...

I love that fabric! And congrats on a successful sewing project. I'm not a sewer...so I can appreciate your efforts! :)

April said...

that fabric is rad!!!! great job!

Adrian said...

That fabric is awesome and it looks like you did a fabulous job! Love it!!

kris {life at the table} said...

love the colors of this fabric! totally cute- doesn't it feel good to instantly have a mini bed makeover too?

Sincerely Abi said...

Beautiful work! The fabric you selected is just lovely, and I loved your comment about your husband and more pillows on the bed. My husband would have a very similar response! :)

Jessica said...

Just found your blog and love it! Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute pillow! I love the print!

KellyH said...

Thank you all so much!!

Kylean said...

I love that fabric! It is so cute! I am about to make my first pillow this week... so I am so glad I found your post! Thanks!
Ky
http://burstofcreations.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Mosselman said...

Wow, beautiful fabric. Bet your glad u got out that machine! Great pop of color in the room.

Kirsten Krason said...

What a great idea! And I love the fabric.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

My hubby loves knobs in the bedroom.

(sorry.....I couldn't resist)

Super cute fabric - I love it paired with the polka dots!

P.S My back always hurts after sewing too!

Mary said...

I LOVE the pillow. Nice job. It really makes the bedding look cozy. Love how you repurposed the door as a headboard too.